About South Carolina Death Index Records, 1950-1961
Information Available in this Collection
The South Carolina Death Index Records typically include the following information
The South Carolina Death Index Records cover a large number of records between 1915 - 1961 and contain over 227,300 deaths. The records typically include the following information:
- Cert #
- Date of Death
- Age at Death
- Age Code
- State Code
Please note the original data does not always provide full information and there are fewer records in the earlier years.
Research the State of South Carolina death records database for your ancestors with this invaluable tool.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Please note that that records between 1915-1949 have not been indexed and cannot be fully searched but can be browsed
Death Index Numeric Codes
The information below relates to the numeric code provided on these Death Indexes for sex and race:
- 1 - Male
- 2 - Female
- 3 - White
- 4 - Non-White
You will note that the age listed for a decedent is a three-digit code. The last two digits of the code indicate the number of years, months, days, hours, or number of years over 100 years old. The first digit of the age code determines if the age of the decedent was years, months, days, hours, over 100 years old, or less than one hour old as follows:
- 5 - Years of age at time of death
- 6 - Months of age at time of death
- 7 - Days of age at time of death
- 8 - Hours of age at time of death
- 9 - over 100 years of age at time of death
- 800 - Less than one hour old at time of death
About the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
The records of the South Carolina Death Registers are held by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. To obtain original copies of the records of this collection, contact the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control at:
South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
2600 Bull St
Columbia, SC 29201
Phone: (803) 898-3630
For Further information please visit http://www.scdhec.gov/administration/vr/death.htm
Walk-in: Average processing time is 30-45 minutes
State office – Issues death certificates and processes corrections for all years and counties.
Office Hours 8:30AM - 4:00PM Tel: (803) 898-3630
2600 Bull St.,Columbia,SC29201
- Regional offices – Issues death certificates for death certificates since 2005 and initiates corrections for those records.
- For office hours please contact the regional office.
- County offices – Issues death certificates since 2005 within that specific county and initiates corrections for those records.
- For office hours please contact the county office.
Mail: Average processing time is 2-4 weeks (standard), 3-5 business days (expedited)
- 2600 Bull St.,Columbia,SC29201
Phone and online orders: VitalChek is not affiliated with the State of South Carolina and a $12.95 charge in addition to state fees is applied.
- Call 1-877-284-1008 (toll-free) or visit VitalChek 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
- Average processing time is 5-7 business days.