About California Death Index Records, 1940-1997
Information Available in this Collection
Please note the original data does not always provide full information.
This database is an invaluable tool for those researching family history death records in the state of California.
Vital records have been kept by the state registrar since July 1905, however records prior to this date are difficult to come by and are very limited in number. The California Department of Public Health Center for Health Statistics is the State's central repository for vital records occurring after 1905 including birth, marriage, death, fetal death, still birth and divorce records would be obtained from California Department of Public Health
California birth, death, fetal death, still birth, marriage and divorce records are maintained by the California Department of Public Health Vital Records. Services provided by the department include:
- Issuing certified copies of California birth and death records that are on file from 1905 to the present
- Maintaining a central registry of California marriages and divorces
- Preparing new certificates for adoptions and changes in paternity information
- Correcting and amending vital records as authorized by State law
- Issuing certified copies of California fetal death and still birth certificates.
California is what is termed a “closed records state” which means that the authorized copies of vital records can only be obtained by the individual named on the record, parents of the individual and certain other individuals or entities specified in law. All other requestors can only obtain informational copies. All copies issued are “certified copies.”
All other requestors can only obtain informational copies.
Applications should then be sent to:
California Department of Public Health
Vital Records – MS 5103
P.O. Box 997410
Sacramento, CA 95899-7410
Search California Death Records 1940 - 1997 on Familyrelatives.com